Monday, September 22, 2014

Sambhar

Sambar is a delicacy of South India. It is one curry which goes extremely well with Rice, Idli , Medu vada , Dosas or Uttapam. Every house has its own version of sambar. This is my quick version of sambar and that how I always prefer making. Here is my version of Healthy Quick Sambar.


Ingrediants

1/2 cup Toor Dal/ yellow pigeon peas
1 cup assorted veggies of your choice.
I have used the following : Opu, Red Pumpkin, Yam
Red Chilli Powder
Turmeric powder
Sambar Masala ( I use the MTR or 777 Sambar Masala)
1 tbsp Tamarind

For Tempering

2 Tbsp Clarified Butter/Ghee
2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
pinch of Hing
4-5 Fenugreek seeds 
2-3 Dry Whole Red Chilli


Procedure

 Wash and soak the toor dal for about 5  min. 


Chop the veggies and keep aside. You make take some more veggies like potatoes, tomatoes, brinjal, carrots. But this is wat I prefer to use mostly.



Since my husband is picky eater lolzzz so I need to hide the veggies and I feel its the best way as well, even I don't like those soggy veggies coming my way in sambar. If you want the veggies to be seen well. You may pressure cook both separately and then mix them.
In a pressure cooker , mix the dal,veggies, add little salt, red chili powder and little turmeric and cook for about 3-4 whistles or about 15 -20 mins. 



Once the pressure is cooled open the lid. This is how it would look. Mostly the veggies would have dissolved. You may even use a hand blender to mix it well or leave as is.



Add about 3 tbsp of Sambar Masala. This is the closest I find to the homemade ones.



Mix well.



Take about a 1 tbsp of tamarind and keep it in the warm water. The pulp starts to form once the it softens. Add the tamarind water to the sambar by squeezing it well.

Add enuf water till you attain the desired consistency of the Sambhar. Keep the Sambhar to boil for atleast 15- 20 mins.


For Tempering: In a small vessal , take ghee once hot enuf, add all the ingredients mentioned above. And it to the sambar.


 
Serve Steaming hot with anything you like!!





Do try it out and like my page if your are inspired. It is motivating to see your comments.Thanks!
PS: All recipes are without Onion and Garlic

Happy Cooking! Inspire and Get Inspired :)

No comments:

Post a Comment